Jen Pietsch
Orcas Island, WA

I love spending time outdoors, gardening, running and raising my fleeced friends!
What I'm Reading!

Books I Love

Sunday, May 18, 2008

postheadericon Alpacapalooza 2008: Part 4


On Orcas Moon's show day I spent most of the morning attending a series of educational seminars on marketing, disease control, neonatal care and the like. Then -- finally -- it was time to show Manhattan!

Manhattan was registered in the Full-Fleece-Huacaya-Yearling-Female-White division. There were ten other animals in her class. In the adjacent ring, the show was having an agility contest featuring balloons and streamers among other distractions -- from the get-go Manhattan was not calm.

We ended up doing the "walk of shame" from the ring after the first go ‘round. Not the blue ribbon I was hoping for, but the experience was outstanding. I learned about how to calm her down a little too late, but it was a pulse raising experience all the same -- a real thrill I won't soon forget. I was a little upset because she is a really pretty girl with nice fleece and conformation; maybe we'll do better next year when I have bit more experience under my belt.

Brooklyn wouldn't show until Sunday on the final day of the show when I would already be back on the plane to Chicago so Albert kindly offered to show her. Up early to feed and water the girls and break-down the stall set-up; I said a temporary goodbye to my new friends and left for the airport. Sitting in the airport waiting for my flight I received a call from Albert. He was beyond excited for Brooklyn had won a ribbon!!!

Brooky placed fourth in the Full-Fleece-Huacaya-Yearling-Female-Fawn division, where the judge apparently loved her. The only reason she didn't place higher was because of slight crimp variation from shoulder, blanket to hip. Not something we can fix in her per se, but something we can shoot for in her cria.

On the trip home I am not sure who was flying higher -- me or the plane! What a great trip: I learned alot, made new friends, and won a ribbon! And I'll be back for good in only a few short months.

0 comments: