Jen Pietsch
Orcas Island, WA

I love spending time outdoors, gardening, running and raising my fleeced friends!
What I'm Reading!

Books I Love

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

postheadericon Last of the Season Tomato Soup ala Bob Nutt



We harvested the last of the seasons tomatoes and had a few more than we knew what to do with. Our friend Bob Nutt gave us this great recipe to use and we whipped it up. Froze some and ate some too!


End of the Season Tomato Soup ala Bob


6 Tb butter
6 Tb virgin olive oil
2 medium onions chopped
8+ carrots chopped
4+ celery chopped
16 large tomatoes chopped
4 c chicken stock
1 c brown rice or barley or?
2 grindings black pepper
1 t dried basil
Pinch sugar

Melt butter and olive oil in stock pot.
Add onions, carrots, celery. Cover. Cook over medium heat until veggies partially cooked @ 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes, stock, rice. Bring to boil.
Reduce to simmer for @ 1 hour.
Add pepper and basil.
Add water/stock as needed.


I didn't peel the tomatoes and it STILL came out great. I guess laziness sometimes works out!


The picture doesn't look like much but the flavor is so fresh.

0 comments: