Jen Pietsch
Orcas Island, WA

I love spending time outdoors, gardening, running and raising my fleeced friends!
What I'm Reading!

Books I Love

Monday, November 9, 2009

postheadericon Blimey It's Limey



Well it is that special time of year again. Lime time. Last spring I limed all but two of the fields and this past weekend it was time to finish the job. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have a tendency toward moss growth especially in heavily grazed pastures. In order to keep the moss in check in my pasture I sweeten the soil with lime. This discourages moss growth and allows hopefully grass to grow.

In addition to applying the lime I also did pasture repair in the poop piles and over seeding in all pastures to promote spring growth.

I think if I could only stop the herd from grazing for a week or two all of the pastures would look great. Not likely to happen.

Sorry about the boring picture. You and try to make Lime look fun. Just wait until you see the pasture in the spring!

0 comments: