Jen Pietsch
Orcas Island, WA

I love spending time outdoors, gardening, running and raising my fleeced friends!
What I'm Reading!

Books I Love

Sunday, December 5, 2010

postheadericon What Child is This?

Here is the disclaimer- pay attention- this is not my animal- he ajists here. Which means he lives here and I get to love him and his owner gets to visit and cart off his fleece. I soooo have the better end of the deal- except the poop thing.

It's Orcas Moon's Sargent Pepper...Or is it Pepper Pots?...or is it Reilly's Red Pepper? It's it's...

it's the

THE RED DEVIL!!!!

Don't be fooled and taken in by his sweet face and gentle demeanor. He is a devil at heart. No not really, he just takes after his mother a little that's all. (Doesn't the mother always get blamed?)


Look here he is innocently nursing away with his mother Mickey.
The Red Devil (fine, so it is not his real name- but let's call a spade a spade- and chicks love a bad boy with a tender heart) He is the king of pasture escape through the gate or under the gate it doesn't matter- this boy has talent.

Devy is, all kidding aside, nothing short of amazing. He is super sweet he just likes to stir the pot a little. Look at this picture,


This is the same day he was born! He is a full month younger than the other three in the picture. What a funny little boy. Bossy too.

R.D. was born while I was away at work on Shaw Island. I left farmer Jeff to watch Mickey, the mom. The first day I came home from work, Jeff told me, no worries, no baby yet. I watched them allllll day. See for yourself. This all sounds great doesn't it? Except that he was watching the breeding males- funny they didn't go into labor.

I left for work the next day after moving the girls so that Jeff could see them from his desk. (duhhhh) confident that all would go well.

It DID!!!!

My farm man called me at work- which he never does- to tell me we had a new beautiful girl. Nope not a typo. I said girl. Long story short which I don't do often. Farmer Jeff was demoted to money making Jeff after labeling the manly man, Red Devil, a girl, which for a week we called Pepper Pots, from Iron Man- who is totally hot and is a red head like him.

Yearly we send in fleece from each animal for testing. The lab lets us know all of its characteristics from fineness and crimp to length etc. Well...the finest (softest) fleece on the farm award goes to

Move over Penny...it's


The Red Devil!!!!!!

Here he is in a few photos teaching his pasture mates the fine art of dancing or is that martial arts?



I am throwing these just for fun. Notice the color of his mother Mickey's spot above her eye is the same color of her cria. Her last cria had the same thing except Minnie's spot is on her chin.



1 comments:

docmango said...

what a great blog - no wonder - he is just a wonderful guy whatever his name. thanks - loved all the pics!
J&G

music

Blogs that I Love!
Rhubarb
Sheep Shearing!