Jen Pietsch
Orcas Island, WA

I love spending time outdoors, gardening, running and raising my fleeced friends!
What I'm Reading!

Books I Love

Monday, December 13, 2010

postheadericon The Wu


Thank you Jeff for doing a guest post. I am pretty sure Santa Oma has now put you on her bad list for the comment about the brown traveling suit.

Next out of the hat is....



Wanda!

aka- Wanda Woo, Woo Woo, Wooey and the Wooster (good gravy try and page her in a supermarket!)

Wanda is high strung- I think? She may just be afraid of everything. She knows I would never hurt her but she doesn't want to risk it by getting close enough for me to touch.

Here is my story of Woo- not a typo- I meant to say Woo not woe. Although Woo's woe would work.

My first hands on interaction with Wanda was to trim her nails shortly after I arrived on the farm. She wasn't havin' it. It took three people to hold her safely in order to get her nails squared away. She was terrified and so were the three of us.

My next farmer moment stands out so clearly in my mind and no matter how I try I can't ever erase it. It was when I questioned if I had what it took to make the farming work for me.

Labor day morning 2008- my parents were here- I went out early to feed all the animals and much to my horror there was Wanda with a half delivered baby. She was wild eyed and running around. The baby was obviously dead.

We caught her in the catch pen, delivered her baby and all Wanda could do was cry and cry and cry. She looked at her baby and looked at me and back again and cried the most awful, sad and lost cry I have ever heard human or otherwise. Wanda let me hold her, clean her up and sit with her for hours without any fuss. I think she and I both wanted time and quiet company.

I will now stop crying.


Wanda is complex. She loves her girl Prada who was the baby before her lost one. They sleep together every night, even now they have of course let Prada's cria join the slumber party.

Wanda wants so much to be a mom again. When ever the boys walk by she lays down by the fence and tries to tempt them to a breeding- they are more than willing- I can't breed her again the heartbreak is just too much for me.

She is always the first one ready to tend any newborn and will gladly take the older crias down the pasture for a graze and sleep with them in the sun. She is however not a pushover. She doesn't take any sass from those little ones. She is the perfect auntie!!



Wanda with Tinkerbelle's newborn



Oh look here is Wanda with Carmen's baby


Imagine... it's Wanda with Mickey's cria.


I love Wanda. I appreciate her for how she let me near her when she was heartbroken.



Right back at 'ya Wanda!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen,
How very tender.... I really am enjoying getting to know these lovely animals thru' your stories....A.C.

music

Blogs that I Love!
Rhubarb
Sheep Shearing!